Are you tired of pushing your old wheelbarrow across the yard? Check out our favorite tool of 2021 and get our top picks for the best electric wheelbarrows to make outdoor chores easier.
Working in the garden or farm is backbreaking work. Traditionally, manual wheelbarrows made it a little easier to haul dirt, debris, and other materials from one end of the yard or field to another.
Today, electric wheelbarrows are making these tough jobs even easier by doing all the heavy lifting for you. These motorized wheelbarrows use batteries and motors to move from one area to another – without you having to lift a finger.Electric wheelbarrows save you time, and they save your back. Plus they make an awesome gift for that hardworking member of your family. Click To Tweet
But which one should you buy? We’re going to share our top three choices, what to look for when buying an electric wheelbarrow, and tips on how to use one.
Table of Contents
- Our Favorites for 2021
- Product Reviews: 3 Best Electric Powered Wheelbarrows
- How to Choose the Best Battery Powered Utility Carts for Your Yard
- Helpful Tips When Using Electric Wheelbarrows
- Are You Ready To Try This Time-Saving Tool?
Our Favorites for 2021
Short on time? Here are our top picks and our favorite features of each.
- SuperHandy All Electric Wheelbarrow. The best traditional style, an all-around favorite. Hauls up to 330 pounds and 4 cubic feet, this traditional looking motorized wheelbarrow is great for backyard jobs and farm or ranch work.
- Landworks Motorized Utility Cart. The Most powerful for tough jobs. At double the power (48v) and a hauling capacity of 1,000 pounds, this cart is a real workhorse. My favorite feature is the design which can be converted to an electric-powered flatbed. Perfect for heavier items that need a stable base.
- Snapper Self-Propelled Utility Cart. Easiest for seniors and lighter loads. A good all-around choice for lighter loads, this is the easiest to use and a great choice for the older generation that loves to do their own yard work. The best part is the quick release foot lever to empty the cart.
Product Reviews: 3 Best Electric Powered Wheelbarrows
If you like doing your own backyard landscaping, but hate how hard it is on your back this is the one tool you don’t want to be without.
Best Traditional Style: SuperHandy Electric Powered Wheelbarrow
The SuperHandy wheelbarrow is an all-electric model with an 1/4 eHP 180W brushless system. It can haul up to 330lbs, and it can even handle slopes up to 12 degrees upward.
The SuperHandy moves at a decent speed whether moving forward or in reverse. The large 13” PU tires can handle tough terrain, and the 2-5-hour runtime gives you plenty of use before recharging.
It’s a well-rounded choice for an electric power wheelbarrow that can handle most jobs around the yard or ranch.
- 24V 1/4 eHP 180W brushless system
- 330lbs maximum load capacity
- Haul loads at a maximum 12-degree upward slope
- 4 cu.ft. of space
- 2-5 hours of use on a full charge
- 3.1 MPH forward and 2.2 MPH in reverse
- 13” PU tires
The SuperHandy Wheelbarrow offers great value thanks to its ability to haul heavy loads and long runtime. This model is the ideal choice for anyone who needs a reliable wheelbarrow to haul materials on an upward slope.
Best for Heavy Loads: Landworks Utility Cart
The Landworks Utility Cart is ideal for heavy loads and can handle upward slopes to 15 degrees. This electric-powered utility cart can haul up to a whopping 1,000lbs. and offers 6 cubic feet of cubage. Its impressive hauling capacity and generous amount of space make it a great option for anyone who needs a heavy-duty powerful utility cart.
Landworks utility carts use a 48V brushless motor system and absorbent glass matted (AGM) technology for optimal performance. It offers a great runtime of 2-5 hours, and the ergonomic controls make it easy to get this cart where you need it to go.
For added versatility, the all-purpose, heavy-duty cargo cart can be transformed into a flatbed. The cargo panels can be easily be removed or folded.
The cart’s ability to handle heavier loads means fewer trips back and forth. That will save you time and physical strain.
- 500lb working load capacity
- 1000lb weight capacity
- Holds 6 cubic feet
- 2-5 hours of use on a full charge
- 3.1 MPH forward and 2.2 MPH in reverse
- 13” pressurized wheels
- Max 15-degree upward slope
Offering a maximum hauling capacity of 1,000lbs, the Landworks Utility Cart can handle just about anything you throw at it, whether it’s moving gravel, bags of fertilizer, or haystacks. It’s one of the best electric wheelbarrows for serious jobs.
Best For Lighter Jobs: Snapper XD Electric Self-Propelled Utility Cart
Offering push-button start, the Snapper XD is a motorized wheelbarrow that offers a decent runtime, a generous cargo bed, and enough power to easily handle everyday jobs. The cargo bed is a bit smaller than other models, but you will get hours of use before you need to recharge.
The XD can carry loads up to 220lbs, with a run time of up to 3 hours. With 3.7 cu.ft. of space in the cargo bed, you can haul just about anything you need to in the garden or at the farm. It also has a rust-resistant cargo bed if you don’t have a large garage with extra storage.
The quick-release lever makes it easy to dump the contents of the bed right where you need it.
This feature saves all the extra effort of unloading your haul and prevents accidental spills for unbalanced loads.
On top of all of this, the XD can also move at a decent speed – up to 2.6 MPH. The battery and charger are not included with this model, so you will need to budget for this additional expense.
- Maximum load capacity of 220lbs
- Up to 3 hours runtime
- Holds 3.7 cubic feet
- Speed up to 2.6 MPH
- Heavy-duty transmission
- Reinforced steel frame
- Two speed options for forward and reverse
- Quick-release lever for easy dumping
If you want an easy to use cart for everyday landscaping and gardening chores, the Snapper XD cart is a good choice.
How to Choose the Best Battery Powered Utility Carts for Your Yard
Unless you’re an avid buyer of electric wheelbarrows, you likely don’t know what to look for in your new cart. Some are better priced than others, but most will work fine for DIY landscaping projects and home maintenance.
If you’re stuck trying to compare models, we suggest comparing the following features that varying across manufacturers.
• Battery Power: How long is the battery life? Can you upgrade batteries or buy extras? If you have steep terrain or heavy loads, the cart’s battery will die faster leading you with a heavy cart to move. Also, pay attention to charge time.
• Maximum Load or Cubic Feet: Check the unit’s maximum cubic feet and load capacity. If you have to transport heavy stones and material, you may need a larger electric wheel barrel. For woodchips and mulch, a lighter weight capacity will do just fine.
• Slope Efficiency: Slopes can be difficult to traverse and will cause a much heavier load on your unit’s battery. Research the slope efficiency and also see if towing ability is present for those times when slopes cannot be overcome.
• Speed: The speed of the unit is also something to consider. If you have a large farm or project, a faster speed may help make your yard work go along much faster.
• Foward & Reverse Options: Forward and reverse options are important if the cart gets stuck. While forward may be used 99% of the time, reverse can be used to help if the cart gets stuck or needs to be repositioned.
Helpful Tips When Using Electric Wheelbarrows
If you’re going to buy the best utility cart for those tougher jobs, you need to know how to use them properly. Users that have purchased and used the carts on our list recommend these tips:
- Make sure the battery is well-charged before a long day of loading
- Buy a second battery if you plan on intense usage
- Check to make sure that you have all of the parts before assembly
- Take your time putting it together
- Steep terrain and even minor hills can be difficult to traverse, so proceed with caution
Also, make sure to read reviews on the customer service of the company you’re purchasing from. A few units break or are damaged in transit, so you’ll need a good customer service agent to help you with either replacement items or parts.
Are You Ready To Try This Time-Saving Tool?
The best electric wheelbarrow will take the back-breaking work out of yard work. Whether you run a farm, have a large garden, or do a lot of yard work, a self-propelled utility cart is eons better than their manual counterparts. Fill the cart and let it do all of the moving for you.
It’s the fun, easy way to make quick work out of your next project.